Come explore the Arabia Mountain PATH and earn trackable prizes along the way!
The Arabia Mountain National Heritage Area Geo-PATH is a geocaching program spread along the entire 30+ miles of the Arabia Mountain PATH hike/bike trail. We have over 60 geocaches just waiting for you to find.
What is geocaching?
Geocaching is a high tech, outdoor adventure game that uses handheld Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers to find hidden treasures. These “treasures” are called geocaches and are placed at unique places for you to visit. Geocache containers come in all shapes and sizes and contain a logbook and sometimes special prizes for trading. Geocaching began in 2000 and has since gained widespread popularity with an estimated 5 million geocachers worldwide. There are currently geocaches on all seven continents and even on the International Space Station. Getting started with geocaching is easy, simply go to Geocaching.com and sign up for a free membership then start searching for nearby caches!
The Arabia Mountain NHA Geo-PATH
The Geo-PATH is a special geocaching program that allows you to find geocaches around the National Heritage Area while earning trackable prizes. Geocaches have been grouped into 5 series – Lithonia’s Historic Hike, Arabia Mountain Adventures, Panola Mountain Pathways, and South River Stroll – which include 10 geocaches each. Every series is geographically grouped to encourage you and other geocachers to explore the different sites around the National Heritage Area. Click here for a complete list of the geocaches that are part of this adventure and click here for your passport to keep track of your finds.
- Complete 2 series ( a total of 20 caches) in a designated area and earn a Pathtag.
- Complete 4 series ( a total of 40 caches) in a designated area and earn an additional Pathtag AND a trackable Geocoin.
New Geocaching Adventure: Past and Present Passages
In honor of one of our favorite geocachers and long-term volunteers we’ve added a new geocaching adventure. Past and Present Passages is a fun way to explore some of the oldest and newest geocaches in the Arabia Mountain National Heritage Area. This adventure is separate from the Geo-PATH program. To participate, print out your Past and Present Passages passport and find at least 20 of the 22 geocaches listed here. In each geocache you’ll find a secret password that you’ll need to record in your passport. Once you’ve found 20 passwords you’ll be able to collect a limited edition, trackable Geocoin!
How to start your geocaching adventure
- Register your unique username at Geocaching.com.
- Print out your very own Arabia Mountain NHA Geo-Path Passport and/or a Past and Present Passages Passport . This will help you keep track of all your geocaches.
- Write down the GC code, password (found in the logbook), and the date you found each geocache. Remember to log your geocache finds in your passport and on Geocaching.com.
- Fill out the prize form found below.
- Allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of your trackable prize.
Have questions? Have awesome pictures you want to share? Want to tell us about your amazing experience? Email us at geocaching (at) arabiaalliance.org