Bring the Family to the NHA
With family and friends visiting from out of town, the holiday season is the perfect time to bring people to the Arabia Mountain National Heritage Area. Here’s a list of fun sites and cool spots to check out as the holidays get going:
- Go for a hike at Arabia Mountain! Walk off some of that Thanksgiving turkey with a trek to the top of the mountain and catch some stunning views.
- If you’re in the mood for some historic discovery, head to downtown Decatur for the Deep Roots in DeKalb exhibit at the DeKalb History Center. There, you’ll see artifacts and stories from Flat Rock, one of the oldest African-American communities in Georgia.
- If you’re feeling hungry, visit the Monastery of the Holy Spirit‘s Abbey Store. The monks bake delicious fruitcake, biscotti and fudge. You can also enjoy the Monastic Heritage Center and admire the Monastery’s bonsai collection. Before you leave, make sure to step into the Abbey Church, an architectural beauty.
- Native wildlife rehabilitates at AWARE, where staff help injured and orphaned animals to recovery and release into the wild. You can see behind the scenes of this operation with a free tour!
- Visit Panola Mountain, a National Natural Landmark only accessible with park rangers. Sign up for a guided hike to see one of the few pristine rock outcrops in the southeast.