You can spend an afternoon, a day or a lifetime exploring the Heritage Area. Whether you’re looking for exhilarating activity or peaceful contemplation, a historical exploration or a leisurely stroll you are sure to find a way to soothe your curious soul. Here are some suggested itineraries:
If you have an hour:
- Plan a hike up Arabia Mountain.
- Take a tour of the AWARE wildlife rehabilitation facilities.
- Stroll through the soft trails at Davidson-Arabia Nature Preserve or along the PATH trail.
If you have an afternoon:
- Bike the PATH trail from Lithonia to Panola Mountain. About 24 miles roundtrip. It’s a challenge! Maps available here.
- Make an appointment to visit the Flat Rock Archives and tour a slave cemetery and former plantation.
- Visit the Monastery of the Holy Spirit and the Monastic Heritage Center.
- Take advantage of one of Panola Mountain’s guided hikes. Afternoon, Half-day and Moonlight options.
If you have a weekend:
- Schedule a retreat at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit. Click here for their 2012 calendar. All faiths welcome.
- Contact Panola Mountain State Park to spend a night in a tree!
If you have a lifetime:
- Become a volunteer with one of our wonderful organizations.